The number one goal of all those involved in aviation should be to promote safety and safe practices. After all, mechanical failures or mistakes made in a car have little consequence when compared to piloting an airplane. I can't just pull over to the side of the road when I run out of fuel in my airplane, for example. Instead, what would have been a minor inconvenience in my Toyota Camry now turns into an engine failure and full-blown emergency scenario. Pilots of aircraft, big and small, East and West, boy or girl, have an ethical responsibility to be competent, safe, and responsible in and around airplanes. The importance of safe practices and proficiency cannot be emphasized enough. The pilot, as stated by the ALPA or Airline Pilot's Association, should "keep uppermost in their mind that the safety, comfort, and well-being of the passengers who entrust their lives to them are the Pilot’s first and greatest responsibility" (Code of Ethics 2021). This, in my opinion, is one of the greatest ethical considerations that a professional pilot should take into account. It is not, however, all encompassing. 


    From the day I earned my private pilot license in a Cessna 172 like so many before me, I understood the ideas of passenger comfort, safety, and well-being. It took until I earned an instructor certificate to fully understand what it meant to teach someone else these very same things. As a CFI, I must not only conduct myself professionally at work, but I must also cultivate a safe and effective learning environment, provide the student with quality instruction, and remember that the actions I take will be directly emulated by the student. Leading by example, in this case, is of utmost importance. Every pilot, from parachute jumping operations to international jumbo-jet passenger flights, all have a responsibility to promote safety and keep their passengers happy. An instructor on the other hand, has an ethical obligation to instill these ideas in their student pilots for many years to come. If they don't, the consequences may be dire, as those pilots who are just learning to fly now, may one day carry 250 passengers, and everyone of those lives will be in their hands. 

Airline Pilot's Association, INT'L. (2021). Code of Ethics. ALPA. Retrieved November 18, 2021, from https://www.alpa.org/en/about-alpa/what-we-do/code-of-ethics 



th

 (Links to an external site.)

Comments

  1. Truly a fantastic job! I love the photo too. This is a true blog.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Security in Aviation; The System's Growing Vulnerabilities to Cyber Terrorism

Impact of Air Commerce Act of 1926 on Aviation in the United States